Lead is a heavy metal that should not be found in the body. Lead poisoning happens when lead enters the body.
Lead poisoning may cause behavior and learning problems, and slow growth. At very high levels, lead can cause seizures, coma and in rare cases, death.
Lead has been removed from gasoline and paint, but it may be still found in older homes built before 1978, especially in paint, dust, and soil.
New research shows that lead may hurt a child’s brain at very low levels. The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention recently adopted a new reference value for lead poisoning of 5 micrograms per deciliter.
Childhood Lead Poisoning is Preventable:
The good news is that lead poisoning is preventable. There are many things parents and families can do to prevent lead poisoning. For information on how to prevent childhood lead poisoning or what to do if a child has a lead level: Click Here!
Get Kids Tested! For Testing Center Info/Link: Click Here!
Childhood Lead Poisoning is Costly:
Lead hazards are chipped, peeling, chalking paint or lead dust that may poison a child. If a child is poisoned from a lead hazard in the home, then the home must be inspected by the City of Cleveland.
If a child is poisoned on your property and you are cited by the City of Cleveland:
You must hire a licensed lead abatement contractor to repair the lead problems. Fixing lead hazard may cost from $6,000 to $10,000 - you cannot do the work yourself.
You must hire a licensed lead inspector or risk assessor to check the work.
You may be subject to fines and legal action – civil and criminal
You may not be able to rent your property.
Childhood Lead Poisoning Resources:
Learn more about childhood lead poisoning. For more information: Click Here!