Most of the customers attending CenterPoint at the J. Glen Smith location reside in the Glenville neighborhood where the Health Center is anchored. Although many of CenterPoint’s customers come from areas within the city of Cleveland proper, other cities throughout the county are represented too: East Cleveland and Euclid are the second and third most frequent residential environs of our customers. Some other locales include Brunswick, Parma, Shaker Heights, University Heights, Lakewood, North Olmsted….just to name a few!
Trauma and abuse (sexual, physical, domestic violence victim/witness) is unfortunately a common experience among our customers, with physical abuse being the most prevalent.
- Over 60% of CenterPoint’s J. Glen Smith Health Center customers have been referred to us through the criminal justice system – that is, the courts, probation, children & family services, etc.
- About 15% are referred to us via other community social services; and
- 11% come to the program on their own (self-referral) or on the advice of a friend or family member.
- The sex of our customers averages around 65% male and 35% female.
- During the past 3 years there has been a 7% per year increase of male customers and, of course, a reciprocal decrease in female customers.
- Age ranges:
- The number one age group represented in CenterPoint’s program is made up of those in the 35-44 year old age range.
- The next most frequently represented age range is 45-54
- Third, ages 25-34
- The substances most commonly abused by participants in this program are:
- Alcohol (50%),
- marijuana/hashish (27%); and
- cocaine/crack (18%)
- The most common diagnoses, for both men and women, are:
- Alcohol dependence
- cannabis dependence, and
- cocaine dependence
- 35% of our customers live in their own home
- 44% are in unstable living situations (e.g., live in another’s home); and
- 10% are homeless
- Averages for employment status over the past 3 years shows that:
- 68% of our customers are unemployed but actively looking for work;
- 11% have full time employment; and
- 10% are employed part time
The single most common factor our customers share—spanning across all the age ranges— is that of having a parent who was addicted to alcohol or other drugs.