Idling Gets You Nowhere
Turn your engine off when stopped for more than 10 seconds.
Idling leads to AIR POLLUTION and HEALTH PROBLEMS:
Idling WASTES FUEL and is EXPENSIVE:
- We each take 20,000 breaths every day. Children breathe 50% more air than adults
- Car exhaust contains toxic chemicals that impair our lungs and hearts
- Breathing car exhaust increases the risk of death from heart and lung disease and lung cancer—especially for children, the elderly and people with asthma
- Asthma symptoms increase as a result of air pollution and car exhaust:
- Asthma is the third leading cause of hospitalization among children under the age of 15
- More and more children are being diagnosed with asthma each year. We estimate that 20% of children in Cleveland have asthma
- Almost $15 million were spent in the U.S. in 2006 on asthma-related hospital care, physicians’ services and prescription drugs
Idling HARMS THE ENVIRONMENT:
- Idling for 10 seconds or more uses more gas than restarting your engine
- One hour of idling burns up to a gallon of fuel
- Restarting your engine frequently has little impact on your engine
What is idling?
- Car exhaust includes carbon dioxide (CO2). Excessive amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere can increase global warming
- For each gallon of gas your car burns, it releases about 19 pounds of CO2
Idling means leaving a vehicle’s engine running when it is stopped, in park or not in use. Have you ever left your car running while
Contact us to receive a free "Idle-Free" decal for your car
- waiting to pick someone up?
- running errands?
- “warming up” your car?